Re: OT: Guitar Synth

Which has the least latency?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 8:28 PM
Subject: RE: OT: Guitar Synth

I’ll weigh in on this FWIW. I have a wide range of interests in using MIDI – I started wanting easy transcription of whatever I played, for use in a sequencer or notation program. The degree of accuracy desired is high and very dependent on your technique as well as equipment, and it hasn’t a chance of picking up anything beyond pitch and duration.

Over time my interest has gravitated more towards what it seems Kevin is after, where accuracy is less important than ease of widening the sound world radically.

All that said, a few thoughts in no particular order:

1.       The RMC pickups are great. I have them in a Cumpiano custom classical and 2 Godins.

2.       Godins with RMC setup are fantastic right out of the box, but not cheap.

3.       The Ghost system by Graphtech is pretty much equivalent in terms of performance. However, I have found Richard McLish (RMC) to be more reliable and supportive of the luthier doing the install. Richard is a true gentleman who backs up his product.  All that said, the Ghost system I had put in a guitar last fall is splendid.

4.       I have a Roland GI-10 13-pin-to MIDI box, works well, less costly than GI-20 or the Axons. I think a GI-10 would track acceptably for you, Kevin. I personally long for an AX-100.

5.       No system I know will pick up “non-guitar” sounds and convert them in any useful way to MIDI. Bang on the box all you want, but rely on the pickup signal and mics to convey that sound to the audience or a processing setup.

6.       RMC and Ghost are piezo pickups with the characteristic piezo quack. Some folks find they can EQ that to a sound they like; I’m not among them. If that matters, be sure your selected setup allows your mag pickups to be routed separately or mixed in or both, as the Godins do. I imagine the other guitars that come MIDI-ready have similar options.

7.       Casio made an early MIDI guitar that does the pitch-to-MIDI right at the guitar. I left mine in a closet for years after I started playing Godins, BUT when I went through a defretting jag last year and defretted the Casio MG500, which I always liked just as a guitar, I started using the MIDI features again and found it is truly useful for (as discussed above) somewhat wild and woolly but still musical synth driving. You may find these cheap on Ebay, but I gather from a recent quick perusal of postings that many old Casios have developed some problems. Mine is still working as well as it ever did.

8.       Lastly, note that the way synths and samplers respond varies a lot.

Hal Dean