East Coast Festival / Philadelphia Options

Alas, I didn’t keep the email, or I would just forward it, but the gist of it was that I pasted in one of the first posts and said “This might be something you’d be interested in promoting/ arranging; if so, here is the contact information.” Anyone who is seriously interested in pursuing this idea in Philadelphia should contact bowerbird. I imagine a second contact would reinforce that you’re serious.

Whoever posted that they were hearing a variety of opinion about what is happening in Philadelphia- there really is a LOT. Tremendous homegrown talent on all fronts – Espers are an incredible folk/ electric band, sort of Bert Jansch meets early Krimson; Shot by Shot are a world-class experimental jazz combo… just two examples. As opposed to 10 or 20 years ago, these folks don’t have any reason or desire to go to the “big time” in New York. Mind you, the realities of PAYING gigs are no different than elsewhere, a topic that got a lot of attention here awhile back, but there are boatloads of house parties as well as a fair number of small venues. The Ars Nova series is adventurous as all get out and uses a variety of spaces. http://www.arsnovaworkshop.com/. They brought Cecil Taylor to Penn, but they also book people from the NEW fringe. And, as I said, I am just beginning to grasp what is out there as I cast about for folks to play with.  I still like good pop music, but don’t pay it much attention, so that sector may languish.

I think the City has a LOT of under-utilized halls.

Surely there are other LD participants in the Delaware Valley. Maybe someone can chip in about all this.

Hal Dean