Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2008 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Update on my mini jazz archtop guitar ("The Little Mammoth")

Very interesting.  I've got a 485mm scale Breedlove Passport strung with 13's, but it's also tuned a fourth higher.  I've also  done a lot of playing on 610mm scale Larrivee parlor guitars, which I also string with 13's at standard.  The 12's it shipped with were a bit slinky for an acoustic.  And then at the other end of the range, there's the 736mm scale Tacoma Baritone which goes from 17 to 70, a fourth down from standard.  It's interesting how dinky a regular guitar sounds after you've gotten used to that, which emphasizes the somwhat arbitrary nature of "standard" scale and pitch these days.

TH