Re: What would loopers do without power?

Much has been bandied about in this thread about whether one uses the
instrument of most proficiency
or the least and it provoked some thoughts I wanted to share.

One of the beauties of the live looping movement is that inventors' of
much
of the innovation, technologically
are actively involved in performing in that movement.

This means that there has been a lot of innovation in creating new
techniques (or delightfully misusing mistakes
in new techniques) because the intruments have been evolving quickly.

There are musical techniques and sounds that  one can use with an EDP,
Max
MSP,  a Looperlative, Mobius using Bidule that
truly have never been heard before.

There are whole improvisational styles evolving  (witness Per Boysen using
Mobius and Bidule or Jeff Kaiser using MaxMSP)
that are creating music that hasn't been heard.

Because a lot of these new techniques are technology driven, it means that
ordinary (and unordinary) sounds sources
have much more potential to create new timbres and new musics to respond
to.

That's why I delight in taking on instruments that I'll never be competent
on in their original intended styles and genres
because they have the potential to create new timbres that haven't existed
before in music.

As an example,  I performed a long piece for Baritone Horn at a recent
Noise
Festival,   using a looperlative, a Boss intellishifter
and multiple and serially hooked up multi-distortion pedals.

I've played enough brass instruments to understand the paradigm for
learning
how to play this instrument, but I'm so far away from
being able to play the simplest John Philips Sousa march in a band that
it's
not even funny.

But it SOUNDS FANTASTIC.

In a way,  I used the loopers in my rig with more precision and skill than
did the Baritone but whatever I did,  it
created something new, I think.

So,    all wonderful kudos to the blistering, fantastic bass players,
guitarists, cellists, tubists, etc. out there.
I love your music and admire it (and I"m not such a lame trapset drummer,

At the same time,  I find that the marriage of advanced  techonology and a
primitivist approach to music making
can also yield really valid and interesting music results.

Rick Walker