RE:a bit OT-- B!!! It just rocks! (Re: Just got this video into YouTube)

One of the great discoveries of my cornet-playing days was pulling the
tuning slide out until the normal Bb pitching became A.  (This works better
on a cornet's conical bore than on a trumpet's tubular bore, btw).  The
first time I sat in with the SOB's (Sons of Blues) in Chicago in '82 or so,
I joined a lineup that had the usual blues band instrumentation of guitar,
bass, drums, harp, plus tenor and trumpet.  When they finally offered me a
solo (after 30 minutes of dutifully manufactured 2nd trumpet parts) on an E
blues guitar shuffle, I just took off on a Wild Bill Davison/Bix
Beiderbecke
romp in F, thanks to being tuned a half step flat.  The other horn players
were amazed, and I got nods of approval from the front guys.  I didn't
mention my 'capo" to them.  When we played in A, I was in Bb--no problem.
So I had solos for the rest of the night.  However, when we played in C, I
made an excuse and went to the restroom.

Too bad it won't work the same way by extending the tenor mouthpiece...

dave

>> - It sucks on tenor sax.
>
> that's riiight - but even worse: the much dreaded guitarist-induced BLUES
IN
> E becomes F sharp for us.
> and Db for the alto saxes.
> no frets for us, just awkward fingerings...

Well, there's always the bar... and I can't stand the tone of the alto
model anyway. August Sax should have maculated it already at the
drawing desk. ;-)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen