Re: OT: DIY Music Room sound-proofing

Ok it does seem like you guys are confusing Sound Treatment with Sound Proofing
The former generally has nothing to do with the latter further than reduce the average volume within the room. Less waves bouncing around HITTING WALLS.
For Sound Proofing, you need to be concerned with the TRANSMISSION of sound from one side to the other.
How does sound transmit? It vibrates a barrier (wall) which in turn vibrates the air on the other side.
There are 2 ways you can reduce this vibration:
Mass
Decoupling

You don't want to install a 10' stone wall (thumbs up for huge barrier mass).
So decoupling is your friend. There are 2 ways to decouple:
2 smaller barriers separated by at least 4 inches. Putting insulation between them helps further. Increasing the mass of each barrier helps yet again (doubling up on the drywall?).
Using "Green Glue" (Google it). It's a scientific breakthrough that greatly reduces the transmission of vibration of one dry wall sheet attached (coupled) to another if the glue is sandwiched between them. I have chosen this method for my band room (garage) as it gives up the least real estate, requires much less labour (no further framing) and makes soundproofing the ceiling easy.
For those of you in apartments, you may have no choice but to raise the floor. Don't forget to use resilient channels.

Now for Sound Treatment. you do not want a totally anechoic chamber. This is a big novice mistake. No one listens to music in an environment such as this. You will find yourself adding way too much effect to your mix to please your ears. When this is played back in a normal environment, you won't like it. The rules of thumb are:

Keep the front 1/3 of the room absorptive and the rest reflective.
The reason for this is that you don't want, for example, audio waves from the left speaker bouncing off the right wall at a position that would reflect that sound to your right ear. So find where that line is and put absorptive material from there toward the front. I use cloth stretched over the framing, stapled to each 16" on centre beam, with acoustic insulation inside the framing. Stretched properly, it looks like a beautiful smooth wall. Then simply attach nicely shaped strips of wood over the staples on each frame.

No Parallel surfaces.
Since you don't always have the freedom or the funds to reshape the room, you can do this:
Any where you see a couple of parallel surfaces, do what you can to stop the sound from regularly bouncing between them.
You can use deflection and/or absorption. Since you have already deadened 1/3 of the room, you should use deflection. You can use from fancy off the shelf deflection devices to egg boxes to bookshelves. The floor/ceiling pair is the most common parallel pair and thick carpet may be an easy solution . But it will deaden the room more. Consider your options.

After this, all you will really have to worry about is bass trapping. Generally, the smaller the room the bigger the problem is. Reason being that problem bass frequency increases as the room gets smaller. For a large room (like my garage) the bass freq is so low as to not be of concern. it may even be below 20Hz. But a small 15' by 20' room may have its problem bass up in the 120 Hz to 150 Hz range.
So this is where you would need to look into bass traps. If you have the equipment, you can find out the exact freq culprits and get a narrow band resonator bass trap. If not, you can always go for a broader one.

Your vocal booth needs to be also sound proofed but COMPLETELY DEAD. From the above, you should know how to do that.

--Adrian Bartholomew
2550 S. 36th St.
Quincy, IL
(913) 660-6918
"I love writing 'cause I hate reading" - Laken