Re: New loopy CD out now: Philipp Zurcher|73-D

This is interesting, Phil.

I very much respect your preference for having the music in a complete
package with artwork. I do, actually, still buy CD's quite often, and I
rarely shop on iTunes (though I'm an Emusic and Rhapsody customer). And
vinyl remains my favorite medium. My comment about getting this released
electronically is because I think your music deserves to be heard, and I
think there's no doubt that you will have an exponentially larger
audience if your music is available online than if you just sell it
yourself from your home in Switzerland.

I do think that the digital distribution business is active in every
genre of music - Zoe Keating, for example, has noted that iTunes sales
have been a big boost to her income. I'm not sure if it outstrips her CD
sales but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

The one thing you might consider would be having a middleman such as CD
Baby make your physical CD's available to those who feel more
comfortable buying from a seller in their own country. I know for me, in
Mexico, the chances of your CD arriving intact (if at all...) from
Switzerland are pretty low - European packages are very tempting to the
various handlers in my adopted country, sad to say.

If you were to distribute online, I have no idea what is fair to charge
for a 30-minute piece. However, if I can humbly correct your math, this
piece being ten times the length of a three-minute pop tune, $9.99
probably is entirely reasonable. I think it'd be sold as an album -
there's a 12-minute piece on one of my CD's which I just noticed is
shown as not available through iTunes, though I didn't personally choose
any option like that - I believe there's a length limit for individual
tracks on iTunes anyway.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com