Re: The ethics of software emulations?

 > My gut feelings are as a software programmer, if I make a software
 > alarm clock, I'm not ripping off the manufacturers of physical alarm
 > clocks. And if I made a software looper (I wish!) I'm not ripping off
 > the manufacturers of hardware loopers.

Stop struggling my friend!  Your gut feelings are not only correct,
they are essential if we're ever going to make any progress.

 > But I'm interested in ethics and not law

Well, some would say that "business ethics" is an oxymoron :-)

I have been in the software business for...hmm, 27 years now.  I have
worked really fucking hard on products that were totally irrelevant a
few years later due to changes in the technology landscape.  That's just
life in the software business.

Frankly, I find the sense of entitlement that hardware people often have
when they move into the software world really annoying.  You're
swimming in the fast lane now people, deal with it.

Jeff