Re: Hardware+software newbie questions: help with music setup

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Nick <ParadoxQuine@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, I can't thank you enough for all your help :)
>
> So, am I correct in thinking if I buy a firewire audio interface such as
>one
> of the two you recommended, and it has say, two inputs and two outputs, i
> could have it routed so audio goes

Well, it takes two inputs to record a stereo signal.

> comp>interface>kaoss>back to interface>into comp
>                          >speakers

Yes, that would work. Can't tell if timing Kaoss vs Computer may be an
issue though. I personally used exactly that routing to run a physical
looer, the EDP, in parallel with Live on a Powerbook and did not have
an issue with latency, but stuff like this tend to depend on the music
style as well. DnB needs to sync well, you'll have to try it out to
see if it works.

> thus allowing me to completely control what audio goes o the speakers and
> what goes to the kaoss pad then back in to my computer so it can be
>recorded
> and looped and then switched to speakers when it's ready to be mixed in.
>
> if i can do all that with just a firewire audio interface and live, i'll
>be
> a very happy and not broke college student :)
>
> as for lag, i'm not quite sure what you mean by this:
>
> "Most audio interfaces offer a direct monitoring output of input
> streams (mic/line inputs), normally through the phones output. So
> there you have a workaround to snag a live input with almost zero
> latency if going for parallel processing in the Kaoss Pad. If latency
> is not an issue you might as well use Live's software mixer to route a
> live input to any audio interface output."
>
> does that mean with something like the audiofire2, i could connect the
> eighth inch connector to the phones port and select that as input for a
> track in ableton, allowing me to record straight from the kaoss pad with
>no
> lag? id definitely like to minimize or eliminate lag, as im quite bad at
> compensating for it.

No. It means that you will be able to route an input directly to the
phones output INSIDE the audio interface - without even sending that
signal into the computer (this working around the AD conversion
latency). Not sure you need this info, but now you at least know about
it which may come in handy in the future.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)