AW: Firewire audio interface recommendations - late reply

Nick,

about the phantom-powered input thing (I'm explaining this from the bottom
up, just to avoid you have to ask more questions because you're confronted
with incomprehensibel technobabble again): most microphone inputs on
consoles (and also on interfaces, like the Firebox) have a feature called
"phantom power", which is used to supply a voltage to microphones which
need
them (condenser microphones). Other (modern) microphones (like e.g. a SM58)
which don't need that supply are unaffected by it, hence the term
"phantom".
(see also e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power)

Now if you connect your audio interface to a microphone input with phantom
power switched on, what will happen depends on the interface you're using.
In case of the Firebox (and I assume of most other interfaces), you damage
the output.
Note that this only applies
        a) if you connect your interface's outputs to a microphone input
(e.g. in live situations)
        b) you don't use a DI box between your interface and the microphone
input, and
        c) phantom power is switched on on the input you're connecting to.
Basically, it will typically happen in live situations when the sound guy
has for some reason turned on phantom power and you forget to explicitly
tell the sound guy to check that phantom power is switched off.

About your RCA to 1/4 converter question:

I found that for transmitting line level signals in live situations (and
non-super-high-end home recording situations as well) is a simple task with
regard to the cables and connectors involved. The problem you may have
usually relates to mechanical stability of cables and plugs (and this, of
course, especially in live situations). The converter plugs you're looking
at look ok to me. One thing I found is that you should stay away from
female-1/4 to male-RCA converters, they are not reliable mechanically.

Best,

        Rainer

ps: one thing I noticed in your messages: Looper's Delight is a "plain
text"
newsgroup. You're sending all of your emails as HTML text; you might try to
change that in your email program.