Re: Why Hardware?

Steve Lawson wrote:
> I guess it's no longer works/doesn't work, it's more a matter of
> performance orientation and cost... There's no way I could run any
> looping software on my macbook without it crapping out - way too much
> going on on it anyway, I wouldn't even have the hard-disc space for it.
> To get it reliable enough, I'd need a dedicated looping rig laptop,

or a dual boot

> pimped out and spec'd up, and even then,
> I've not found anyone with a
> laptop fast/powerful enough to run a Lexicon 60 second reverb and up to
> 8 channels of stereo loopage along with all the other stuffs, at low
> enough latency for me not to feel it.
>
> So I'd have to carry an extra laptop, and pedals, and a soundcard, and
> possibly still run outboard effects.

Yep, same here.
My laptop setup would end up just as heavy as the current hardware one.

When someone builds a small audio interface with a nice high quality
(valve?) input for guitar/bass
we'll be part of the way there.

I don't see the latency problem being solved by M$/Apple tho'
it's not something they're interested in.

andy butler