From: "Warren Sirota" <wsirota@wsdesigns.com>
Subject: Re: OT: Music books that transcend technique...(was Re: semi-OT: i recommend Victor Wooten's book)

Likewise, Eduardo. I will definitely check out the Carlevaro - I used to play a couple of the Preludios Americanos. Probably my favorite classical guitar pieces ever. And, also, I have found breathing to be incredibly important in practice (once I discovered that I typically held my breath for 20 seconds at a time while playing difficult passages, I found the discipline of sighing softly while playing these passages to be very effective in helping me relax into them instead of "stressing" into them). I may look into that Vermont retreat for next year.

I gave up on footstools many years ago - i have had back issues for a long time, and the weird assymetry forced by footstools always seemed somewhat punitive. Instead i got a funny-looking little pillow-type thing that sits on my leg to lift the guitar into a better position (I got it from the SF store Guitar Solo probably 25 years ago). But I've been very intrigued by a couple of guitarist that i've seen who have modified their guitars to be almost upright, more like a cello. it seems that the left hand is less stressed that way. not so sure about the right.

Warren