Re: Re> OT: new macbook rant

40 years or so, I had to bring my tape deck (reel-to-reel, 7"in 2 track) for repair after a few years, and I was shocked to find it needed new heads, for something like 1/2 the cost of a new machine. The owners said "you should expect to pay 1/4 of the price of a new unit every year for maintenance". The tune-ups I have to pay for on my car every year just to keep the warranty active amount to about 7.5% of purchase price (plus I had to pay for the warranty). I paid about 12% of the price of my macbook for the 2 years of extra protection, plus I get knowledgeable support with real answers from real Apple employees whenever I ask for it as a bonus. It just doesn't seem that expensive once you think about it, tho the extra bite at purchase time hurt. And and of course, since I had to use it, and it worked well, quickly and hassle-free, I really do think it's a reasonable deal.

Laptops are fragile. It doesn't matter who made them. That's reality, folks. Ignore it at your peril $$$.

Warren