Re: EDP questions

Stephen Scott wrote:
> A couple of quick Q's for Echoplex users.
>
> First of all a general question;
> 1.  Does anyone have any general hints or tips to help preserve EDP
>memory.  In particular, I've been working up a little piece that involves
>a couple of loops running, and towards the end, I need to UNDO all of one
>of the loops, to strip it back to the original loop.  However, I'm
>finding that I run out of UNDO's with several layers remaining.
>Admittedly, I am using quite a lot of layers (about 8-10, approx 10
>second loop), but that is the nature of this piece.  I'm using a Gibson
>Echoplex with Loop4 firmware and full 198 seconds of loop memory.

1)(which you already got, I'm sure) Set Moreloops as low as possible for
the piece.
2) Make sure Overdub is off when you're not using it ( and leave feedback
@ 100%),
    the EDP won't use up memory if you don't change the loop, it does
something called
     AutoUndo.
3)As a last desperate measure, when you have the material that you want to
end the piece with all sounding good, copy to the Next loop and then work
on it there. So you can always get back
your loop by Nexting again

> Next, a more specific question, that shows my complete ignorance of all
>things MIDI.
> 2.  I'm thinking of getting a FCB1010 to use with my EDP. I'd like to be
>able to assign different INSERT button functions (eg, SUS, INSERT,
>Replace etc) to different 1010 buttons.  Is this possible? How does this
>happen ? does it require the insert function to be set up in one of the
>EDP presets, then that preset is called by the FCB. If so, does it occur
>instantaneously, or is there is the same lag when loading up a new EDP
>preset manually.  Or is there some other cleverer way to do this.

It *would* work the way you suggest. Changing preset is instantaneous
apart from 8th/cycle values.
BUT
you can access all the different Insert functions directly from Midi.
( note, however, that those neat 8th replace tricks only work via the
Insert button)

> thanks,
welcome

andy