Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo

Great post,Bill.

I can't say for certain, but the tilting point for me choosing to use and play with less distortion, was after I got into more genres (jazz, country, bluegrass, worldbeat, etc) that used more clean tones, and it occurred to me that distortion or high gain can easily be used as a articulation crutch. It did not take me long to realize that, given any prior, rippin' solo I had done using high gain and distortion, during my fusion/hard rock/progressive rock days, if I had tried to articulate the same or similar solo using a clean tone, it sounded like crap, sloppy, etc. I realized how much I was relying gain to play fast and still sound good.  And I have tested this with guitarists...someone will play a really fast and impressive solo, and then I ask them to turn to the clean channel, and the result is, most of the time, not good.  With high gain, you have this amazing compression and sensitivity of the strings that allows you to play very fast and fluid...mistakes in articulation are sort of "smoothed" over so that they aren't apparent.  In fact, I recall not even having to use a pick. With that much gain, you can basically finger the runs, using hammer ons and pull offs, and it still doesn't sound have bad.

Now, I am only speaking for myself here and not saying that anyone who uses a lot of gain is using it as a crutch. That would be an unfair assumption.  I am not trying to start a flame war here to slam those guitarists who like to use a lot o again. But I am stating what I think is a fact about what high gain allows you to do on the guitar because of the compression, overtones, sensitivity, etc, vs. if you were playing clean. And for me, it started to feel like cheating and forced me to start practicing the guitar clean, to see what I was really capable of in terms of my articulation and control of the instrument. The guitarists that really gain (no pun intended) my respect are those who can go back and forth and still main their articulation - Nels, for instance, but also many others, like Metheny, Fripp, Mclaughlin, Beck, and many others.   That is why I promote students to start with the acoustic guitar and gain a level of mastery on it before moving to the electric and a lot of distortion.  In fact, my father never let me buy an electric guitar and amp, until I had taken a few years of classical guitar lessons and proved that I could play a handful of songs with just the acoustic guitar, with no aid of technology. I suspect that has molded my outlook on this a bit.  It was as if I heard to earn the right to play an electric guitar and take advantage of all that technology, effects, etc.

Kris