Re: Devi Ever (was Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo)

At 9:47 PM -0600 12/25/08, Daryl Shawn wrote:
>holy cow, a dozen of Devi's! Amazing. I'd love to do side-by-sides.

Yeah, but it's not so big a deal.  I'd picked up a couple of Effector
13 pedals already when she spun that business off and started again
under her own name.  One of the first things she did was start that
whole range of Artifacts -- inexpensive single fuzz units that could
be swapped back and forth.  At that time, they were going for about
$50 or $70 each, so I started grabbing some.  Didn't realize until a
little while ago just how many I'd collected.

Here's the rundown: Effector 13 Truly Beautiful Disaster, Torn's
Peaker, Feed Back Loop Oscillator, and Synth Mangler; Devi Ever OK,
BIT, ND, 25, 05/25, Hyperion, US, and JP.  Also a Peep and a PeepPeep.

>Thanks for the reviews, great to get some personal insight into
>those pedals. I forgot that I sent her a couple tracks - numbers 5
>and 12 of my miniatures
>(http://www.swanwelder.com/projects/miniatures.htm) feature the TBD,
>albeit at a relatively "sane" setting.

I love the way the TBD meshes so well with the inherent distortion
from the cassette loops.  It actually sounds natural in that context.
I really like the different sorts of "obscured" textures that
naturally fall from your miniatures.

Also, it used to be nice, seeing a familiar name up on the E13 page
for the sound samples.  Too bad that passed into the ether.  Ah
well...

>The SuperOscilloFuzz has me salivating...I love switches and
>unpredictability. And joysticks too - if I feel the need for more
>fuzz (?), I might get a Mangler first.

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've had to talk myself out of
buying a Dream Mangler (or a Shoe Gazer, for that matter).  But I
need to save my cash, and get more use out of the fuzzes I've already
got.  Still, there's always just one more, isn't there?

>Mech, your set at the 07 loopfest was one of my favorites, you GOTTA
>do some recording.!

Thanks Daryl!  I think the Chinapainting set that night was fantastic
too(!!!) and definitely one of the highlights of that Loopfest for me.

As it so happens, I've got a week off (starting tonight) for Winter
Break here.  My wife asked me earlier this evening what I wanted to
do with the time off.

I laughed, and replied jokingly, "Record an album."

She looked at me deadpan: "You think you can do that?"  Her
seriousness took me completely off guard.

Soooooo, now I'm thinking perhaps I'll give it a shot.  Maybe I won't
get so much material down, but maybe I'll get *something*.  We'll
see....

        --m.
--
_____
"the wind in my heart; the dust in my head...."