Semi-OT: Pinnacles of Boringness: WAS: Re: guitar drone music (Fahey)

Ted, I think you are wrong about Medford's position near the pinnacle of boringness. I think Central Point actually has that honor (that's a Medford inside joke, for the rest of you).  There are a lot of great musicians in Medford and Ashland, it's just that the audiences need to be nurtured. And, last I looked (in 2001), the press there was fairly willing to promote things that seemed somewhat interesting (heck, even Carl's Jr. was able to get covered in the restaurant review section there!) I'm tempted to say, "if you don't like the news, go out and make some", but in fact, I left Medford and thought it was pretty freaking boring myself.  Although I did get to play out a f*ckload more than I do now, and in fact I got to see a *lot* more great music at the easy-to-handle Britt Festival and Craterion than I ever do in ridiculously-difficult-to-get-to-and-expensive Manhattan.

Actually, I think that pockets of musical adventurousness are few and far between, and that most places are pretty much wastelands (ok, "civilized places inhabited by energetic, beautifully crafted and utterly predictable rock mutations" = wasteland in this context). The only US towns where you could hear more than 1 "outside music event" (for lack of a more precise term) per month (or even per year) are probably a couple of the biggest cities (NY, SF, Philly, I'm guessing Boston, I'm guessing *not* LA - and even NYC's outside music is almost all gone from Manhattan and now located in Williamsburg) and a couple of outliers like Santa Cruz.

--
Warren
http://www.ubetoo.com/Artist.taf?_ArtistId=6679