Re: Links: Great inspiration source for musicians and composers!

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> Interesting, Per.
> Is this discrete sequencing similar to generative music in Noatikl?

Not really. The definition given on the page goes "instead of using
sequencers that generate MIDI notes, we will use sequencers that
generate sub-components of notes, specifically, pitch intervals and
gate values".

There are more similarities between "sequencing" and "looping". One
example is "Hard-Sync" in a sequencer that does the same thing as
"Realign" in looping. Here's a related quote from the page:

> As described by Eric Tamm in Robert Fripp : from King Crimson to Guitar
>Craft,
>
>    among the most impressive passages in their music are those where
>two, three, or all four musicians are playing rapid-fire ostinatos that
>interlock and counterpoint each other in a glittering pointillistic
>texture reminiscent of the gamelan orchestras of Indonesia.
>    (p. 139)
>
>    The gamelan-like texture readily lends itself to polymeter -- where
>the players share a common pulse or beat, but group their beats in
>measures of different lengths. Such is the premise of the instrumental
>piece "Discipline", for instance, where beat groupings of two, three,
>four, five and even seventeen jockey for the baffled listener's attention.
>    (p. 140)

When sequencing in Numerology you can set each sequencer module to
Hard-Sync at any regular time interval; for example every 16th beat.
This opens up for looping sequences at odd lengths as 5 beats or 9
beats and still have the basic time measure grooving in 4/4.

Still there is no (audio) looping device available that,
correspondingly, lets you set a preference to realign the loop at a
regular interval. That would be a cool looper feature (applied to any
of the looper's tracks/channels)!

Per