Re: What does it mean to you, to "release a record"?

Buzzrap:
>> With record label contracts, people I know also seem to prefer having a
>European contract rather
> than an American.

This is because American deals contend a lot more recoupable clauses.
That means that if money is lost in marketing the label can cover its
losses from incoming money before beginning to share money with the
artist according to the royalty percentage stated in the deal.
European deals still use some non recoupable clauses, meaning that the
artist will start to get his share at an earlier stage of the game.

>  I just wonder how many indie artists out there can really i.e. pay rent
>with CD sales/royalties etc?

Today Andrew Dubber posted a related article, "Why give music away for
free?"
http://newmusicstrategies.com/2008/12/31/why-give-music-away-for-free/

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen