From: Erdem Helvacioglu <erdemhel@tnn.net>
To: George Ludwig <sfmissionman@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:22:09 AM
Subject: Re: Erdem, could you comment on your experience with Aucourant Records?

dear george,

let me put it this way. by the way, if you want you can forward my email to loopers delight.

until now i have released 3 solo albums in USA. The labels I have worked with are Locustmusic, New Albion and lastly Aucourant. So first of all you might ask 2 questions. Why did you work with record labels in the first place? And why did you work labels in USA rather than releasing the albums in Turkey?

The answers to these questions are not that easy. Nearly all of the loopers on this mail list mostly live in USA, Canada, Europe, Australia or South America. Do not think there are many contemporary loopers-electronic artists from Middle East!

Although I travel quite often to USA ( mostly NY, Boston, San Francisco and LA ) and Europe, at the moment I live in Istanbul. ( Although this will change in 2010 :) The musical scene in Istanbul and in Turkey generally do not have many contemporary composers, experimental electronic artists etc. You would not even be able to find mainstream jazz musicians and clubs outside of 3 big cities. The scene is mosly based on mainstream turkish pop, turkish folk, arabesk etc. The electracoustic music scene only tries to live within university environment which is pretty hard as you might imagine.

Also there are no goverment support for contemporary music. No founding support or commission support. No labels to release your music or support you in a way. On top of that, the international music scene/ press/ media does not care about the innovative musicians coming from Turkey. They only want to see-hear traditional music, a very exotic and orientalist way of looking at things as expected from Europeans!

Under these circumstances, I made a clear decision to continue doing what i want to do and try working with labels outside of Turkey. Without the pr, media etc support of these labels, it would be very hard for me as a composer coming from Istanbul to make it into the international scene. Also I have received very important commissions ( Bang on a Can, new opera commission, electroacoustic commission from france etc ) thanks to the help of these releases.

About my deal with Aucourant. I keep all the master, copyrights and publishing rights. And also we share all the income coming from sales ( much better than 12% deal with major labels ) Also they are good with pr, radio etc. At this point, I think it is a great deal especially considering the circumstances I have described above.

Thanks and best regards. Happy new year to all!

Erdem Helvacioglu
www.erdemhelvacioglu.com
www.myspace.com/erdemhelvacioglu
"Wounded Breath" album is out now on Aucourant Records:
www.aucourantrecords.com/catalog.php?op=detail&cid=23