RE: things of sad beauty

Wonderful list of melancholic music; reaching back a bit, Bach’s Chaccone gets me every time, particularly the moment the D minor variations give way to the slow, beautiful D Major variation…

~Greg

From: Todd Matthews [mailto:gtmatthews@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 5:21 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: things of sad beauty

I didn't mention the Gorecki. I think that might have been Richard but its a strange coincidence because I just got the score to that piece about a month ago and I've been working out a looping arrangement for bass.

More pieces on my achingly beautiful classical list include:

Verklärte Nacht by Schoenberg
3rd Movement of Pines of Rome
and even another Copland's Nonet for strings, 1st movement
Richard Strauss, Metamorphosen
Arvo Pärt, Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten (fitting for the looping community:))
Ravel, Gaspard De La Nuit (Piano) this piece never gets old to me. I could listen over and over.

Todd