Re: OT: an unpleasant buzz

Living at Camp Meeker are Ye? First of all turn, off all of your Coleman stoves and lanterns.  But seriously dirty power can be caused by many things not named bush or Cheney, oops there I go again. Dirty power might well be your issue. Are you using any energy guzzling appliances like space heaters? To many of those can create brown power that will result in hum like you described. I use a Furman AR117 Line regulator  that I’ve used for years , it ain’t cheap but is has superior filtering and a battery backup which gives me a minute to shut down sensitive equipment if the power goes out. I was the only one along with the drummer to finish a song at an outdoor show a few years ago when the generator we were using went dead. The AR117 also has a really good meter so you can get a visual on just how much wall current is present. Most power conditioners don’t do squat, and in some cases even the best ones wont solve this problem. That’s when an isolation transformer of some sort would be needed. When I was recording with Erdem in Istanbul last June, the university studio where we worked had a power conditioner/ isolation transformer the size of a walk in closet! An still the engineer said that they will occasionally get interference from outside sources., and related line noise. The bad news is isolation transformers are expensive.. Coincidently I have to call Furman today and see about getting another battery for My AR117 because after 18 years of ownership it needs a new one. I had the power go out last night, (too many space heaters going since the central gas heater in out old house finally died.  I’ll check with them to see what they have available or where they can direct me and let you know. Congrats on the grant BTW good going!!!! Now take some of that grant money and by an iso transformer…Doh!!!!!

Bill