Re: OT Re: Beer Budget CD Release ...headache from cds

Quoting "L.Angulo" <labaloops@yahoo.com>:

> One of the rencent CDs that really caught my attention is Finks
> record "Biscuits for Breakfast"i caught his show in Switzerland and
> he sounds just like the record.Backstage i talked to him and he told
>  me that the record was made basically live with very few overdubs
> and very minimal compression in the mastering,then again they are a
> trio and the space in their music obviously helps,Calexico is
> another band i enjoy listening to they are 7 musicians but their
> music breathes and has a lot of space ,love that in music!
>
> www.myspace.com/luisangulocom

I'm a proponent of minimal compression and I would add, minimum EQ, too.

If a mixdown requires an inordinate amount of EQ and general "fixing"
then perhaps the original tracks could have been better recorded.

What I find interesting about the notion of
compressed-mixes-for-car-radios is that modern car radios/cd players
have compressers AND automatic volume adjustment (that is, the system
detects ambient noise and adjusts the volume accordingly) built in to
them.  There really isn't a need to compress for CD players.

Indeed, the dynamic range of radio transmission is a "given" and, as
such, a radio station may be forced to compress the signal somewhat
(at least, to louden the soft passages).  I don't understand the
driving need to supply a radio station with an already-compressed mix
when they themselves will compress it.

Also, with vinyl, the lathe engineer may have to tweak things -- the
EQ, the phase-alignment, and the dynamic range -- in order to prevent
a groove that is too wide, too deep, or out of phase.  Vinyl has
physical constraints that don't exist with digital media.

My preference with compression is to use a little bit (sometimes
called "emergency limiting") so that I don't have to hold too much
headroom for occasional peaks.  (I actually use compression rather
than hard-limiting to avoid "pumping".)

What continually amazes me is the selection of affordable,
high-quality microphones these days.  They have huge dynamic ranges.
Well, I sure don't want to compress them!  :)

-- Kevin