Re: OT: True Sound Morphing

Oh Per...

A problem when experimenting with composition for "musical morphing"
is that as you create music you gradually become immune to the
"psychedelic" effects that play thise cool tricks on firsthand
listening minds.

Im not sure... i hear new sounds and new psychedelic effects everyday... But I know what you mean, when I heard the Banshees version of Dear Prudence suddenly slide into fantastic phasing, I was floored.. what IS THAT SOUND? Then you learn that the effect is as old as the hills...and has sources and influences and history that S&tB were referencing. But once you know what it is and how its made, you tend to think too much when you listen to music...

But you shouldnt "agree with me" that audio morphing is not possible... Im not so sure... I expect its all a matter of analysing how it should work for the effect that you imagine that morphing should be... im sure progamming it is NOT the problem...

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com> wrote:
> So musically, would it be possible to morph one frequency into another? For
> example, if we divided the frequency spectrum into... 5 sections (Bass, Low
> mid; Mid; Upper Mid, Treble) analogeous with the "points" visually... and
> within these frequency bands analalysed, frequency pitch.... NOPE...Thinking
> aloud here... Im not thinking this would work...

Yup,  I tend to agree that musical morphing is not possible. Not
physically in sound, that is. But very well subjectively withing the
listening mind - and as we know that's the place where the music
actually happens. So in an esoteric sense it would be possible. I
think minimal music comes closest to lure the mind into believing that
pitch is changing without passing through any point where both pitches
(old and new) are being heard simultaneously. So the technique for
musical morphing is to be found somewhere within the compositional
territories. I'm still bewildered by having heard "something
impossible", but that was a lucid dream sound and you can't really
count on "sleep in" concerts or "iowasca gigs" for all ;-))

A problem when experimenting with composition for "musical morphing"
is that as you create music you gradually become immune to the
"psychedelic" effects that play thise cool tricks on firsthand
listening minds.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se