Re: First post - newbie advice wanted

Hi Rod,
There are times when i get hired to do such gigs.I myself went through a
series of loop stompboxes but soon got old.I wanted to record loops that
would be longer than the initial one and change parts, and upon my search
i stumbled into the EDP and discovered more loops and multiply,boy that
was a gas!But back in 96 the oberheim EDP had a lot of issues but
eventually i discovered this site and got the new software which solved
all of those problems.
All was fun for years and i could never get enough from the EDP,that box
is still so ahead of this time! but then i wanted to do more complex stuff
and have stereo tracks so i could mute and store my loops rather than
having just a single mono loop so i got the Repeater.That was also a lot
of fun because i could store the loops and recall them at a gig though i
never stopped using the EDP.
Eventually th pīter got discontinued and i was never completely happy with
it because the tracks werent really independent plus it had other issues.I
sold it later to find out that there was a new SW upgrade that would take
care of a lot of those issues so i was bummed;-(
Then the Looperlative came out which i had for a short while,unfortunately
mine had some technical issues and although is a good box it was missing a
lot of features and functions important to me.Then all of the sudden i
discovered Mobius which has everything i needed,loops,8 independent
tracks,literally all EDP functions,loop storage,recording
capabilities,scripts to create your own functions,stereo,pristine sound
and best of all amazing support from Jeff and is free!!
So like you i resisted the laptop route for years and to be honest if
mobius came in hardware i would probably switch to it in a hard beat.I
realize how fragile a laptop and soundcard devices can be,2 of my firewire
soundcards have had problems with the firewire conection lately,i just
sent my expensive RME FW 800 to get it repaired for a second time now,and
now all of the sudden my presonus seems to have a similar problem,thank
god it happend after my last gig!
So why hasnt my dream come true 100 percent yet? well first just like you
i am a singer and sometimes do gigs where id like to have backing groove
drum sample tracks,effects to proccess my guitar,perhaps integrated synths
to be triggered with my roland ready synth guitar and a good looper all in
one package.
Second,as i said the laptop route with the firewire cable still makes me a
bit shaky...and i havent really completely gotten used to it after playing
so many years with hardware, but it is certainly way more flexible and the
transporting capabilities when playing and traveling cannot be beat.So
unless there is a piece of hardware that comes out with all of the
essential looping capabilities for me i am very happy to have gone this
route.
However ive been eyeballing the upcoming Ableton 8 which seems to have a
lot of ths things but ive never used that software and i hear there is a
learning curve.But the dream is getting closer and closer!
If you dont want to deal with laptops one of the options that has a lot of
what you are looking for i guess is the Boss RC-50,there are a lot of
experienced people here that will teach you how to get the best out of it
so you have landed in the right place!
Luis