vst compressors

trying to replace my GT-5 with vst plugins ... first of all, I need a
compressor. for some reason, my favorite kind of compressor sound has
always
been an extreme setting that reduces the string attack to almost a mere
click, and then keeps the volume constant, turning the decreasing string
vibration into an almost linear sustained note ... of course this needs a
volume pedal after the compressor so that noise doesn't get too loud when
the string gets too quiet ... now I find myself browsing through endless
lists of freeware vst compressors without really understanding the
differences ... any recommendations?
http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst-effects-2/compressor

after this, next thing will be the crunch/distortion/fuzz department ...

-michael