Re: looping/live tracking what do you call it

But what about if you are manipulating loops, is that also not looping?

I would agree with the previous statement (I'm horrid at quoting) of "live looping" vs "looping".

As I find both very valid, and enjoy doing/listening to both, but certainly find them to be different.

Usually when I live loop, there is less texture tweaking slash knob/switch/slider/xy vector etc twiddling, due to more attention being focused on the creation of loops, ie playing instruments, banging a beat, etc... usually the sound is much more drawn out and slow changing (something I love live, when dancing - and I dance to everything from drones to beats heh - but not so much recorded) when live looping.  When looping prerecorded loops (something we could call, just looping?  as you are working with loops, and changing them live, and there is no sequencing...) it becomes more about frequency/rhythm/soundnotsound/ear pressure/et al... kind of like a dj not so restricted to looping fully made songs... but rather mixing parts of many songs together.  Looping seems more from a specific idea, but translated with nowness and the flexibility that contains... whereas live looping seems more finding the nowness, and translating it to a specific idea via music... if philosophical wordplay means as much to you as it does to me (ie some find it saying nothing, some everything; count me in everything).

-nn
happyhumans.org

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Andy Owens <andy@1800pathways.com> wrote:
> As long as you have no sequenced tracks, build I all live, is that still
> looping?

I'd say if you are making loops, you are looping.

per