Re: peterson sonuus

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:39 AM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.petersontuners.com/sonuusgw

What a cool little pitch to midi box!

> MIDI latency: 16ms to 30ms depending on note and characteristics of
> input signal.
> with this high latency itsn't the ideal live tool,
Regarding MIDI conversion latency I think the worst problem is that it varies with the note you play. Lower notes take longer time for the pitch reader to analyze. On my MIDI guitar I have a three octave transpose switch for MIDI Out and when playing bass I use the lowest output octave in order to be able to play the bass lines high up on the guitar neck. The reason is that this gives the fastest pitch reading. Like they say on that page:

Sequencing bass lines
The G2M™ is great for sequencing natural-sounding bass lines. It is often more convenient to play the bass line using the higher octaves on the guitar where tracking is most accurate and latency is lowest. The resulting recorded performance can then be transposed in your sequencer to use as a bass line. Many sequencers will allow transposition of any number of semitones. Then, for example, you can play on the 3rd string and transpose back to the 6th string or lower.

but thinking of
> triggering some unsync events ... could be this achieved with
> plugins?.

Yes, ten months ago I research that and found quite some "Audio to MIDI" converting plug-ins. Not pitch-reading though, so you would have to tell the plug-in what MIDI note to send out every time an audio input is received. My application back then was to use any analog noise as a MIDI trigger. I left that directions though and went back to using a FCB1010 plus hand mixer for control, because it is more playable (the tendency is to move more into playing effect processing rather than switching them on and off as I used to do)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com