Re: thinking about moving from rack to laptop...advice please!

Just some comments based on my experience that seems to differ a bit:

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Sjaak <tcplugin@scarlet.be> wrote:
> My mainstage review
> - responds to any incoming midi message on any channel, can't send midi
>messages, limited filtering, no channel re-routing

Mainstage does not at all work along the old hardware based concept of
"sending MIDI into plug-ins that are programmed to react". What
Mainstage offers is a software concept based on two steps:

1) The user creates his own on-screen set of graphic control objects
that directly corresponds to the physical control hardware used. These
screen objects has MIDI Learn capabilities and connect with incoming
MIDI events from the physical control hardware. This graphic interface
may not be changed often once it has been set up (not until you buy a
new MIDI mixer, MIDI pedal-board etc)

2) Next phase is to set up the binding between the on-screen objects
and parameters in the software. When doing this you can apply data
scaling, reverse a parameter's response on a pedal's range etc, etc.

Mainstage
> - you can't use a AU-plugin like Augustus or Mobius to generate midi
>clock and MS crashes when it detects multiple midi clocks

I've been doing that for eight months now with no problem. The way I
do it is to let the Looper plug-in send its MIDI Clock out through the
OS X IAC Bus (virtual midi patches in a Mac). Then I click tic the box
in Mainstage that says "Get Tempo from MIDI input".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com