Re: multi-band compression (was: thinking about moving from rack to laptop...advice please!)

The "musical answer" is that I like to play the compressor on the
final output stage both from my looping treatments and from my live
playing. A typical example: I like reverb to grow between my notes and
stay down when I do play a note.

The "technical answer" is that I layer sounds that span over many
octaves and like it when they they don't interfere too much in a
"pumping way" (typically when you here the pumping shadow of a kick
drum in a hihat patter).

Finally, in the studio I rarely ever use multi band compression on a
summed signal bus for the simple reason that it sounds much better to
apply compression at an earlier stage, like on the separate individual
source channels. But with sound-on-sound layering based live-looping
that's not an option.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se