Re: Name that looping vid/artist

Hmmm, I didn't see any camera cuts.

I didn't hear any parts come in without him doing something, but I
could've missed something.

I vote that it could've been live, but it would've required an
off-camera person operating when the looping device was recording or
not. Such a person could also have performed fades. And of course, all
the levels would've had to be set either in advance, or
post-production (for the instruments). Still, it's probably just as
easy to do it that way than to fake it.

I've been seeing/hearing a lot "indie" rock acts lately (even popular
ones!) that are just one person with live looping. It definitely feels
like it's soon to be the next big thing.

On one hand, several of them are doing some impressive things around
getting it to work within the dynamics of a song structure, not
strictly a continuously building collection of different instrumental
parts.

On the other hand, many of the acts I've seen left me feeling like the
performers are locked into a scripted grid, with fewer opportunities
to take the material in a direction other than a previously-drawn,
forward-pointing arrow from start to finish.

My prediction is that looping is going to see a lot of popularity as
this trend gets more popular. The downside is that unless the
well-known artists find a way to fix that forward-arrow problem, the
"wow" factor among audiences will eventually wane.

Matt Davignon
tour!: www.ribosomemusic.com

Aaron Leese<aaronleese@flyloops.com> was all: