Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

Interesting discussion !

When I play in my studio, I always improvise and sometimes some nice themes come out.
Surely is my "classical backgroud", but when I find a theme that I really like, I dont' want to let it go, so I try to work on an arrangement for that theme.

I'm one of those who can play for hours and hours the same piece of music, but I always tend to have "free parts" in a song for improvisation.

For example, at the last loopfests (Antwerp-Florence-Rome) I've played "three pictures":
- first one was a structured piece of music with predefined themes and  two parts (in the middle and at the end) where to improvise;
- the second was a 100% soundscape improvvisation; here just the tonal centre was predefined;
- the last one was the first section of Piano Phase by Steve Reich; and here I was really "locked into a grid", as a classical player usually is.

Differently from that, two week later the Loopfest in Rome I've played a 100% improvised set with a percussionist and war guitar player.

At the end, I can say that for me the approach to follow depends by the live context I have to play in: if I play with other musician I love to improvise all the time, but if I play alone on the stage I prefer to mix the two approaches and expose "my" musical themes.

Fabio
www.eterogeneo.com
www.myspace.com/eterogeneo