Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

Great thread Rick, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have seen
many many responses to this email but I've not opened them yet because I
wanted to give you an un-biased and neutral reply :)

> Of course,  one (and specifically, me)  run the risk of not having a
> cogent enough performance
> or ,  worst yet in live looping,  taking too long to create a piece of
> music and letting it go
> on for longer than it is musically interesting for the audience.  It's a
> constant worry for me and
> I frequently blow it live.

My way of preparing the shows we did last summer existed of several
components:
- technical preparation: make sure you know how to use your gear => many
hours of just playing and playing
- sound preparation: programming synths and effect patches
- 20 to 30 minute live improvisation rehearsals at home

And although you will notice similarities between the shows I did, they
are all different because I decided to improvise; the only fixed
components were the key and the length of the piece. The reason I did this
was that I always hope a 25 minute live improvisation piece contains 5-10
minutes of realy good stuf and than I'm happy. But your right, there's
always the risc you blow it. But the trick is that, if you prepare
yourself well, you can avoid most "live blooping" situations ;) The other
but most important factor is "experience": you only learn on stage and
nowhere else. Mistakes will continue to happen, performing solo on stage
can be very stressfull but I think you should just think "I don't give a
...." and try to enjoy the playing and the music. Not easy.

> Personally, just because I teach a lot of live looping in my hometown,
> I tell newbies to set
> up a clock and to force themselves to start, develop and cogentally end
> a piece of music
> every five minutes so that they have six pieces of music in a festival
> set of thirty minutes.

Imo this depends on the style of music you play. For the ambient stuff I
do, I think it's often better to have a piece of 30 minutes rather than 2
of 15 or 3 of 10 minutes.

And now I'm going to read the other responses :)
---
Sjaak
http://euroloopfest.com/
http://sjaakovergaauw.com/

Scarlet Mobile, Gratis abonnement in combinatie met uw Scarlet One of
ADSL, surf naar http://www.scarlet.be/nl/mobile3g