AW: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

very interesting thread,i ve observed in the loop festivals that ive
attended so far a lot of loopers have repeated their ideas and it doesnt
bother me at all, specially if i like the music,is like listening to a
tune on the radio and wanting to hear it again.But i tend to get bored
very quickly with the eternal improvisation that just doesnt say
anything.In looping i personally tend to prepare my equipment more than
the music so that it doesnt fuck up on stage which is irritating to see
and no less for an audience that has paid a ticket! this might even come
across for them as an amateur or unprofessional show,so yes i encourage
loopers to prepare!
Also pre-conceived sketches of music to improvise to on stage is not a sin
but rather a great way to develop something unique everytime you perform
and keep your improvs more focused as it will always sound different
anyway.So improvisation vs. prepared is not really an issue for me,it just
depends on the creativity involved.
I have seen people using prepared drum loops in their music sounding very
sterile and boring and ive seen people using them in a very exciting way(
Michael Peters comes to mind who did a beautiful piece using a drum loop
which turned out to be my favorite at the Y2k9 in Antwerp)
For me seeing somebody buid up a drum loop with their mouth doesnt make it
any better or special if i dislike their music as somebody using a drum
sample whose music i like.And for a non musical audience all this stuff is
completely irrelevant anyway as they are there to be entertained;-)

Luis

www.myspace.com/luisangulocom