Re: Missing the third dimension (II)

Hi Rune

I was referring to the Apogee converters... the AD/DA boxes.  They may have fixed the issue, but I would, no matter what, research the heck out of anything I buy.  There is no hurry and I'm betting things will just get cheaper and cheaper as the world economies continue to crash.

I'll try to dig up some emails describing the down side of the Apogee AD/DA stuff and send to you off group, Rune.

External clock is most important when you have numerous converters running at once - so that 44.1 on one device is EXACTLY the same on another.  If you only have one converter running, it may be better to use its internal clock.  If you're using multiple digital processors then think about the clock.  Again, the Aurora stuff is great.

I personally don't think reverb is the answer.  Heard good things about Altiverb.  I use the reverbs that come with Pro Tools 8/HD3.  And my old Lexicon 200... which I love.  For me, and this is just my dumb opinion, reverbs can work against the idea of the '3D' clarity thing.  That may be why you hear more of it in your portable recorder stuff - no reverb or processing.

There's some nice writing on clocks on benchmark's site -

I'm running out the door!

more later