Re: 10,000 hours

...while some just get worse by practicing. ;-))
ยจ
The think "practicing" is a difficult word because when used regarding
creative arts it doesn't focus on *what* is being practiced. My own
view is that there may be contradicting results coming from practicing
instrument playing technique and practicing "finding new directions".
If you do too much of the first you may end up as a musician that
really doesn't come around as very interesting for listeners - unless
put into an interesting context by the help of a composer. And vice
versa, if practicing only the creatively associative thinking process
you may end up as a non player that has to become a composer that
needs an ensemble to help out precious ideas move some real air. The
zen inspired way I subscribe to myself it to constantly balance these
two directions in your own life. Not in your music, in your life -
which should include the music.

Yes, it just takes a quick look around to see that some people are
born with bodily, mental and emotional conditions that pre-dispose
them for faster development in the practicing of arts. Like some said
regarding Mozart, in an earlier post, that he sort of popped into the
game with preset top ranking. To be given such a favorable starting
point is of course of great important if one wants to make some
difference! There are also examples of people being born extremely
gifted but with no interest in developing the actual talent. Maybe
this group of people are much bigger by numbers than those who are
born gifted and work hard to improve (the Mozart example).

Finally, one thing that is often underestimated is how much it really
matters with hard work and proper methods to bring out talent. This
"secrete truth" has traditionally been turned down by the music
business (for marketing reasons) and by media (from "stupidity
reasons" I guess). Personally I subscribe to the idea that ninety
percent of artistic achievements are the natural outcome of a persons
desire to improve. Given it is based on a personally unique take, of
course (a copycat ambition can only lead to become close to the
target, it simply can't lead any further). This personal touch doesn't
need to be extremely overwhelming though, it can be just a very tiny
spot to plant the seed and start building from.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com