Re: anti-looper bigots / Miles & Teo OT

Rick Walker wrote:
>> earlier in this thread I wrote:
>> "In a way,  by introducing tape loops on 'In a Silent Way'  (neglected
>as
>> the predecessor and I feel, the superior record to the more famous
>> "Bitches Brew") he was doing the same thing to the percussionists.
>> By introducing a static loop that held down the groove,  in essence,
>the
>> percussionists and drummers were free to explore more. "
> To this, Andy Butler replied:
>
> "Rev's link does not confirm the methodology for recording
> that this suggests."

:-) well it's not my fault it doesn't

Isn't the tape loop stuff on Bitches Brew?

> *******
> Also, you took me to task (by saying I"d had my 2nd espresso of the day)
> for talking about the expansion of timbres in percussion that came from
> that time period.

yes, but honest Rick I meant it in a good way.
Just meant that I enjoyed reading you.

> I've studied percussion and the introduction of new percussion

aye cap'n
...and if there's any available copies of the rhythm book
you wrote I'd be very interested to buy one.

> I also think that "In a Silent Way"   and "Bitches Brew"    though not
> first in this movement, were, nonetheless
> vastly more influential on the subsequent history of the movement than
> the first records.

I'm not sure about that reasoning.
Without the innovators, the popularizers have nothing to popularize.

> Show me a single popular recording that sounded like "In a Silent Way"
> that precedes it.

Can't do that, Zappa certainly had something similar going
but I'm clueless on the whole "record sales" thing.
I couldn't name a popular recording that came *after*
and sounded like that.
...something by Soft Machine perhaps.

Wasn't Bitches Brew the big seller in any case?

Also, I'd wonder if having "biggest selling jazz album"
is somewhat like having the "most popular non-porn website".

> I say popular!    There may have been more obscure predecessors but
> millions of people heard these records
> and certainly tens of thousands of musicians.

here's my original comment:-

'...but I don't understand all these "Miles started...."
themes.
Why not just credit Miles for a great contribution? '

> Miles didn't invent anything really.   Modalism existed before him,
> Trance music existed,  Fusion Existed ,  blah, blah, blah.
>
> Somebody once said that artists are the antennae of a culture.  They
> pick up change coming long before the rest of the population
> does and they broadcast it.
>
> Miles was certainly an antennae and he most certainly was a popularizer.
> He had an enormous influence on modern music and the sound of modern
> jazz

which is his great contribution, yes?

Anyway, found more info on the sessions

http://www.ethanhein.com/wp/2009/in-a-silent-way/#

....exploiting the ability of tape to capture unique chance events
that could be structured after the event by editing.

andy