Re: Samples and looping

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Louigi Verona<louigi.verona@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  What I personally do not like about overdub
> looping at the moment is that the only possible thing here is a build up.
> You record the first loop and as you record other loops over, this first
> loop will repeat and repeat and repeat. It is very difficult to make the
> arrangement varied.
> And you get a lot of lines which are there looped for too long a time.

I guess you are not the only one that doesn't like to loop like that!
;-))  It just creates a mess over time. The challenge in live looping
is to use commands like Undo, Substitute and Feedback to take away old
audio layers and put new audio into your loops. And of course,
building many parallel loops lets you create more interesting music
than if only using one loops all the time.

>  Sampling yourself is cool, but using a sample from, say, a movie,
> can
> bring extra special charm to the record. But that's me.

I think many agree with you on that. But I wasn't saying I never use
vocal or environmental samples, I just said I don't use it in the
real-time sampling art form we use to call live looping. Just like you
I do it a lot for creating recorded music. Some tools and techniques
are quite different for performing and producing recordings even
though the line is blurry and a lot bleed over between stage and
studio.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se