Re: Terje Rypdal was ECM guitarists

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Rick Walker<looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
> I was just thinking what Eberhard Weber, Terje Rypdal,  Jon
>Christiansen,
>  Jan Garbarek and many of the other ECM stable musicians would sound
>like if
> they got into live looping stuff.
> They were already investigating the notion of trance in a delicious
>blend of
> European classical music with a black American improvisatory approach.

When John Abercrombie was the guest in Jason Crane's Jazz Session
Podcast he told about the trick they used for those first recordings
with Manfred Eicher. They simply set up the main rule as "improvise
everything but adapt your playing to make it sound as if it were
composed music being performed". I only heard about this recently but
have always loved that attitude for my own playing and I think many
actually use this method to generate music that is afterwards
published as compositions.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se