Re: Samples and looping

> Ennnh!  It remains to be seen just what quantities of business have ever
> been actually lost, beyond the vague but threatening-sounding percentage
> figures the recording business continues to pull out of their collective
> backsides.

Indeed.  I read a report from a recent-ish study that had some
interesting conclusions: people who d/l movies and albums are
significantly more likely to buy cds and dvds and attend movie
screenings and concerts than those who don't d/l...  are these really
the people the RIAA want to antagonize?

My two-cents on the "right" to sample... I sort of see it both ways.
Copyrights exist to ensure that creators reap the benefits of their
efforts and that is good.  However, the initial intent of copyright
laws was to give creators the competitive edge for a couple of years
(I forget exactly how many originally, was it 7?) before the content
ended up in the public domain.  What we have now, is a bit of
perversion of that original intent where copyrights extend beyond the
life of the original creator...  The aime of many rights holders is to
keep the works indefinitely out of the public domain by introducing
slight variations, re-issues and so on to renew the copyright to their
benefit, but to the detriment of everyone else.

To see how absurd this is, imagine if patents worked the same way and
never ended up in the public sphere...  (not tha patent laws are
perfect)

If, like me, you believe there is no creatio ex nihilo, being deprived
of building on what has come before us can only lead to cultural
stagnation.

Sylvain