Re: Samples and looping

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Louigi Verona<louigi.verona@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> "So, my main concern is that the artist should decide just how their
>material is to be used commercially."

> Well, so I see. But how can one control it in a world of today without
>draconian measures? With the power of Internet such control is simply
>impossible without creating absurd laws that would bound how people use
>their computers. Actually, this is what the current copyright law is
>trying to do. So while theoretically it is fine, but how can that be
>done?  Louigi.

I'm not sure that just because it's *easier* to
steal-sample-plagarize, that should be the reason to discontinue
copyright practices. Maybe the "power" of the internet is a bit
dangerous to personal privacy and civil liberties? I LOVE the
internet, but the complications of hacking, identity theft,
downloading, etc. are REAL issues that require REAL SOLUTIONS—not just
passively lying down and allowing marauders to pillage.

I'm not sure how rampant downloading (for commercial purposes) can be
controlled, but the practice of "clearing" samples with the author is
the current status-quo. Enforcement? I'd say that will be handled by
the parties involved and proceed as defined by current copyright law
and each parties ability to finance the proceedings. All this is about
$$$. It's wishful thinking to believe that we can simply dismantle
protections under the law and "natural" law will somehow kindly manage
everything.

Another thought comes to mind. If all this so-called artistic "talent"
still requires other's good work to be realized, is it really
"talent"? In the writing business they call those people editors, and
they do not magically become "authors". A good editor is invaluable to
the process, but the author is still credited, gets their share, etc.
The details of how each person in the process gets paid is a legal
decision and professionals typically sign contracts regarding such.

Sometimes the details are burdensome to the point of spoiling the
process (they have for me!)  But I'm not about to deny others' their
due when they successfully negotiate the terrain required to actually
earn a decent living.

--
Miko Biffle
Biffoz@Gmail.com