Line 6 M-9

I got to try out the Line 6 M-9 today for the first time and thought I’d pass along my first impressions. It is simply put, a scaled down M-13, about the same footprint and weight as a DL-4, with the ability to have 3 effects and the looper running simultaneously. Each effect is actually 2 different presets or variations that you can toggle between and the variations can be any one of the M-9’s modeled effects,  which seems to be most everything Line 6 has modeled effects wise, including distortion and compression varieties, modulation and filter effects, delays and reverbs. Like the M-13 there are two expression pedal ports, fully assignable to any parameter of any effect. Unlike the M-13 there is no longer a post/pre toggle switch for placement of the looper in the chain, this can be done as an edit however. To get at the looper one has to hold down the tap switch for about 2 seconds, minor inconvenience. Also no effects loop, but its still stereo in and out. The looper is great with the same specs as the M-13 and the same functionality length of loop etc, save for the pre/post toggle switch. People who where interested in the M-13, but wanting to integrate it with other pedals without taking up such a big footprint might find this intriguing. Unfortunately it cannot be powered by batteries so it would be a non factor as a busking looper unless you had a power source.. All in all this is a pretty sexy beast, though its only $100 cheaper than the M-13 at $399, its still like having multiple DL-4’s or other effects + looper in one pedal.

Bill