Re: "art" & money, was: amanda palmer

I had a college prof tell me once (this was some time ago..)
that records really don't make money for an artist or the label
that puts out the record unless it goes gold or platinum.
Now this of course was way before the interwebs blew up
completely.
I myself have an older album that I've never done much with.
Now it feels like I should put this out there and try to capitalize
on it, and that would be grand thing for myself.  Sometimes
I feel that I should give it away for reasons of popularity, or
in today's terms - traffic. Then I'll have some notoriety while
I make another album and try to sell that one.
But, the truth of that matter is that the content on the web
and the popularity of particular content can go stale so fast,
here today gone tomorrow.
Perhaps the best thing to do would be to just set up my album
for sale and then pull some crazy YouTube thing or some other
outrageous marketing stunt to feed the traffic.
None the less, this is great topic - Thanks to all for the inspiration.