Re: y2k9 - the hardware vs software battle

Actually, there were only two "hardware loopers" that I recall:

. Stanosaur (acoustic feedback)

and

. Daryl Shawn (tape looping)

The other devices were all digital in the form of a:

. dedicated looping device

or

. looping software running on a general purpose computer

I would be most curious with a breakdown of hardware vs. software failures.

Last weekend, the failure (during my set) was a hardware failure.  My
computer overheated and shut down.  When I came back up, I propped the
computer to provide better ventilation to its fan and it didn't crash
again.  So, though I used a laptop, to classify it as a software
failure would be inaccurate.

(Incidentally, my particular laptop is a Toshiba and, to be quite
honest, I've never been happy with the computer due to its hardware.
I just haven't had the money to replace it and, thus, I have to work
around issues.  My next computer will NOT be a laptop -- I will custom
build a computer into a case that is rack-mountable.  I want to be
able to choose my own Firewire card, video cards, etc.  With a laptop
one is stuck with the hardware that is hardwired onto the mother board.)

Last year my LP1 stopped working and I had to send it back to Bob for
repair.  He replaced some hardware on it, so I presume it was a
hardware issue.

In looking back over problems I've had, it has always been hardware.
I've never had a software program failure in a performance setting.

-- Kevin

Quoting cpr@musetrap.com: