Re: Apogee Duet

which preamp is that todd? for micing live, i use a Ted Fletcher P4, small, stereo, with compressor and limiter.

2009/11/3 Todd Matthews <gtmatthews@gmail.com>
I gotta run to work but I wanted to give you a quick update. I spent this morning A/B'in the Ultralite and Duet. I have a Mk I Ultralite just to put that out there. I 'm not sure if there are different components used in the Mk III.

The Duet does sound much better mic pre wise and for live usage I've going into the Duet and setting the XLR to +4dBu. My preamp for my double bass blends a pickup and mic and this gets a really clean signal into the Duet. When you switch it to this setting you don't control the volume with the Duet you control it from the preamp I realized. It sound amazing and most of the time I spent playing within Ableton Live with a buffer setting of 256. Just dring the last 15 minutes I switched it 128 to get lower latency and I didn't get any pops or clicks but it's way too early to decide if that usable for a live setting or not. If I can at least get by with a 256 buffer setting this is going to be the perfect device for me so I can record a high quality demo with the pianist I play with and I can use it to play our shows. My new preamp/blender is the same size as the duet so it will be amazing if it all works out having a smaller footprint. I'll keep you updated as I keep plugging away.

Todd Matthews