Re: looping with albeton live

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:45 PM, roger <roger@brecon.co.uk> wrote:
> Looper is set up for remote operation, so you can record, overdub, undo
>and
> more without touching the computer.
>
> Has anyone any experience of this.

Yes, I did it for hours yesterday. Was coaching an artist that is
going out to loop his album material plus live instrument using Live
8.

Except for the feature your post mention you can also assign pedals to
rate shift the loop. That means either transposing pitch one octave up
and doubling the speed or transposing pitch one octave down and
reducing speed to half the original tempo. If overdubbing new audio
into the loop at those extremes the some interesting sound will come
out when going back to normal speed/pitch.

Another feature is that you can instantly divide or multiply the loop
length by 2. It's not possible to divide or multiply by 3 or any other
number than 2. When multiplied it simply gets longer by repeating the
same chunk of original audio. When divided it cuts out half of the
original audio and loops that. If repeating the division by two you
can get down to very fast loops down in granular land where everything
sounds like pneumatic manufacturing processes.

"Reverse" is also possible.

All these tricks you do to the loop in the Looper plug-in seems to
happen according to the global quantization you run the host Live at.
I did not test yesterday, but I think you should be able to create
some interesting poly rhythm by jumping between different quantization
settings while working the loop in the Looper plug-in.

The most powerful feature that comes with the Looper plug-in is that
you can set it to calculate the tempo from the first loop you make and
then start the host Live as you close the loop. Before Live 8 this has
not been possible in any other way than by using a Looper that sends
out MIDI Clock that Live follows. This new system is more solid both
in the way it sounds and in the meaning of not crashing or "loosing
contact with master tempo clock" (hated that error message in pre 8
Live)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se