Re: pci interface

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:10 AM, james fowler <twostroke@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi.  i'm planning on building my own pc for live audio processing and am
> curious if anybody has any experience with pci interfaces.  i need 2-4
>i/o
> and midi would be a nice addition and it looks like m-audio is my #1
>pick.
> any and all advice or experience would be appreciated.
>
> thx.
>
> - jim

Yes, before 2004 I always used PCI interfaces. Generally they are more
sturdy and faster than firewire and USB, so you get less AD/DA
latency. It's not possible to recommend one product before any other,
you should pick one that meets your needs. If MIDI is not included on
the PCI card it might just be good, since then you know that audio
streaming will work optimally. There are loads of really cheap USB
MIDI interfaces that you simply plug in without even needing software
drivers. RME seems to be the company with the best track record in
general, although specific products from other manufacturers may be
just as good.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se