Re: Taking VSTs out on the road

from: phillip wilson
>I knew sooner or later my ears would prick up and i would start thinking
>about this one.... virtual instruments!!
>
>basically I WILL NEVER use a traditional "pc or mac" computer in my
>music..i cant explain why  but I wont, its not my thing...EVER!!
>
>so basically and finally, is there a little box I can use without a
>screen
>and whatnot where i can chuck in a nice VSTi synth, some samples and
>possibly a good drunm kit ( I dont mind using a computer at the editing
>stage) and then unplug and just have it act similar to the "brain" of a
>v-drum basically a custom sound module ( or is there any really good midi
>sound modules you can recommend for drums , ethnic precussion and synth
>sounds.
>
>Sounds like a small computer with a specialized input-display module,
>perhaps LCD with a few navigation buttons.  Oh wait, that's most
>appliances
>including hard disk recording satellite boxes.   No actually, if you had
>your setup already pre-configured, and made to load at bootup, it'd work
>as
>a PC without keyboard, mouse or but I suspect the best config for this
>would be a rack unit that supports VSTs in a flexible way.

On the side I'm quite happy with the new FL Studio, since they enabled
easy
sample-recording at run-time or trigger/etc, whether it's audio input or
midi keyboard.  Up to this point the program's been best to me as a drum
composition tool, and the rest seemed like a sample artist's tool as
opposed
to other modes composing...

Stephen Goodman
http://www.vimeo.com/spgoodman