Re: OT: zen for beginners / Jodo

On Nov 24, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Mech wrote:

> Or if you're looking just to throw him into the deep end, buy him a
> copy of "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones" and give it to him with no
> explanations.  ;)

Great book. Read it years ago. Definitely had a good effect on me.

Obscure Trivia Dept.-

The 1970 film "El Topo" by Alejandro Jodorowsky had much to do with,
or least somewhat to do with "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones".
But, I am not so sure that tossing that film at a youngster would be
all that advisable?
Or hey...maybe it would? No one ever said that Life was always
supposed to be "pretty"...even a Life of "enlightenment". Zen makes a
good point of this reality.
But, I guess it would depend on their age, or level of sensitivity,
or whatever other personal factors? (Or...?)
However, the film is certainly not for everyone, but I have always
found it to be incredible.

http://www.subcin.com/jod01.html

http://www.subcin.com/jod02.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Topo

And, for an even bigger mind blower that is a "quest for spiritual
Truth" etc, then by all means see Jodo's 1973 film "Holy Mountain".
My absolutely top favorite film of all time!
I think even a teenster could maybe handle this one, but a mind
(young or old) could also possibly be "transformed" a bit by this
particular film experience. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Mountain_%281973_film%29

Cheers,
Rev. Fever