Re: Fripp-Amplification

chris@christojota.de wrote:
> What do you think about the MACKIE SRM 350 V2
> Fullrangesystem ( 10/1", 165W RMS LF/ 30W RMS HF, 90°x 80° CD-Horn, XLR
> in, XLR out, Gain, Contour-Filter)?
> Problem: no "line-in".

The XLR can be used as line in.

> The Mackie is a bit cheaper than the JBL. And has more power!

More power doesn't always mean louder,
and louder is usually at the expense of clarity.
Actually the Mackie is specified as 8dB quieter than the JBL you mention
below.

I've played through (and audienced) Mackies a lot (it's the only
brand in Santa Cruz).
Compared to the dire sound of the usual pa they are fantastic.
...but somewhat fatiguing to listen to, and their claim of
"studio speaker quality sound" is outrageous.
Depends what you're after, some people would call them
"punchy", and would approve, some would call them "shouty"
and wouldn't be so impressed.

> Does  the JBL have enough power for small locations:

yes

> JBL EON 10 G2, aktive Fullrangebox, 10"/1", Bi-amp 125W/50W, 1 Mic/line.

what I have is the original Eon 15P-1 ,
very natural sounding, though probably not easy to obtain these days.
I haven't heard the newer G2 variation, which is supposed to be
louder.
Weirdly, the 10 in speakers don't have a frequency response
down to the lowest note on the guitar (80Hz).
(and the Mackie spec is slightly worse in that respect).

> The Genelec 8020 seem to be a Studio Monitor, maybe not good for using
> in concert!?

depends on the gig, I played a classical guitar set and a live-looping set
with them at a "background music" gig. People sat some distance away
and listened while others talked.
For a bar, they would be useless.

If you want to hear the complex layers in your music, don't
need pumpin' thumpin' volume, and are prepared to be careful with
your speakers then studio monitors might be a cost effective option.

Sorry I don't have a clear cut answer.
I know you'd sound great thro' my old JBLs tho' ;-)

andy